You keep seeing people surrounded by huge clouds and can’t help but wonder “Why do people vape?”
Is it because they want to look cool blowing that thick vapor? Or maybe they are tired of regular cigarettes and want to try something new?
The answers may be countless, but we will try to figure them out. Let’s dive right in.
What Exactly Is Vaping?
Numerous people are curious about vaping but don’t really know what this thing is. So, if you are asking yourself “Why do people vape?”, perhaps you should first find out more about this popular smoking method (which is not technically smoking, by the way).
It is proven that electronic cigarettes are 95% less harmful than the regular ones.
Now, what is vaping? To put it simply, it’s a process of inhaling a water vapor using a special vaping device. Each device (or simply vape) has a battery, a heating element, and an e-liquid tank/well. When the battery starts working (it can be activated either by an inhale or by pressing a fire button), it activates the heating element (usually a titanium coil), which heats up the e-juice and allows it to vaporize, providing you with a thick and flavorful vapor. It reaches the lungs and can mimic the smoking experience quite well, especially if there is nicotine in the e-liquid.
What Types of Vaping Devices Are Known Today?
You can probably tell how many people vape these days. A lot. And while trying to figure out the question “What is the point of vaping?”, you might find yourself wondering about those curious little sticks you see vapers use.
To tell you the truth, the list of different vaping devices could be endless. However, if you don’t want to dive in too deep, let’s take a look at the most basic and prevalent types:
- Electronic cigarettes (also known simply as e-cigs). This is probably the most common and the simplest type of vaping devices. They are super easy to use, affordable (in the majority of cases), and may even look like a good old cigarette we’re so used to. There is versatility to this type of vapes. They come in different sizes and colors. They may be disposable or refillable. Their batteries might be either built-in or external. Electronic cigarettes don’t hold a lot of e-liquid and they aren’t really powerful, so you may use one of those for a couple of hours and not longer. They are a perfect option for people who are new to the vaping market or want to switch from regular cigarettes.
This might surprise you, but some people use electronic cigarettes and other vaping devices alongside with regular cigarettes.
- Vaporizers. This is a bit upgraded version of a simple e-cig. Vaporizers are more powerful and can hold more e-juice. Moreover, there are numerous vaporizer models that can be used not only with e-liquids but also with concentrated oil waxes and dried herbs. This allows for customizability and a more versatile use. Vaporizers usually have a rather sleek design. They may remind you of a pen, a tube, or a stick. The majority of them are compact and super portable. This vape type is ideal for people who want a more powerful device (but still compact) or need it to be suitable for other than e-juices.
- Vape mods. This is a more serious gear, perfect for heavy vapers and experienced users who appreciate endless customization options and powerful operation. Vape mods come in different sizes, they can be electronic and mechanical, and they are usually compatible with numerous different atomizers. Vape mods oftentimes come with powerful batteries and allow users to vape for longer periods of time (even days on a single charge). Plus, the majority of them are regulated and allow vapers to adjust the temperature, the wattage, and the airflow according to their personal preferences.
Vaporizers are more powerful than simple electronic cigarettes and may cost from $30 to $300 on average. While they may be a bit pricey for some people, they also allow for customization since many vaporizers can work not only with e-juices but also with waxes and dried herbs.
Did You Know There Are Different Vaping Styles?
If you think that vaping is all about simply inhaling and exhaling, you are mistaken. You see, there are different vaping methods and styles, the most common ones being:
- Regular vaping. This is when you use your ordinary e-cig to vaporize the e-juice. This method is close to regular smoking, although it allows for some customization, helps you produce a bit more vapor, and provides you with a wide range of flavors.
- Sub-Ohm vaping. This vaping style involves using an atomizer with the resistance being under 1.0 Ohms. This makes the e-juice evaporate much faster and allows you to create larger clouds.
- Temperature control vaping. This is when your vape mod can maintain a stable coil temperature depending on the settings that you choose. There are some models that also allow users to control the wattage.
- Dry herb and wax vaping. For this vaping style, you will require a special vaporizer that can support these types of material. And you thought that e-juice was the only option?
So, Why Do People Vape?
If you keep wondering “Why do people vape?” and “What is the point of vaping in general?”, you might be surprised with the answers you get. You see, vaping is so popular these days for a reason. For a number of reasons, actually. And each of them depends on people’s taste, preferences, and wishes. So, let’s take a closer look at the reasons why people are so into vaping nowadays:
- They want to quit smoking.
It’s not a secret that trying to quit smoking (specifically, nicotine) is very, very hard. Nicotine is extremely addictive, so, even if you have a strong willpower and have decided to finally stop smoking cigarettes (or “Devil’s sticks” as one of my teachers used to call them), your brain will be against it. This is when vaping comes into play. Numerous people have successfully switched from regular cigarettes to electronic ones.
Of course, e-cigs aren’t harmless (let’s be real). However, they are much less harmful than regular cigarettes. You can start with the e-juice that contains nicotine and then gradually reduce its amount to allow for a smooth transition for your body. Thankfully, there are numerous e-juices that come with different levels of nicotine in them. This means you can start with an e-juice that reminds you the most of the good old cigs and then, within time, eliminate the nicotine use completely.
- It’s a trend.
Yes, this reason may sound a bit silly, but there are many people who have started vaping simply because it was one of the most popular trends at the time. Some got curious, others just wanted to keep up with the latest and the most popular tendencies. Whatever the case, people tend to easily fall for current trends, and vaping was not an exception.
- Health issues and medicine-related reasons.
This is a rather common reason, to be honest, and it is linked to using medical marijuana. Many people use this smoking method to deal with chronic pain, chemotherapy recovery and side effects, severe headaches and migraines, clinical depression, anxiety, panic attacks, PTSD, and so on.
Dry herb vaporizers allow users to smoke without the risk of consumption, thus making this method safer and reducing the amount of carcinogens. Plus, when using a vaporizer with dried herbs, one may enjoy a cleaner and purer vapor. Of course, herb vaporizers aren’t legal everywhere and can be allowed only based on a doctor’s prescription.
- It’s a cool hobby.
Some people collect post stamps, others build wooden planes, and vapers build their coils and experiment with their devices. Vaping doesn’t only involve, well, exhaling vapor and enjoying the flavor. Experienced users test different devices (regulated, mech mods, squonkers), build their own coils, take their vaporizers apart, and alter their exterior. Seriously, there are people who spend more time playing with and studying their devices than actually vaping. It’s like a cool toy for grown-ups.
E-cigs aren’t used exclusively by people who are trying to quit smoking. There are many vapers who have never previously smoked regular cigarettes and got into vaping not to quit smoking but merely because they wanted to try vaping.
- They enjoy testing out different flavors.
Here’s the deal:
The vaping market grows bigger every day. And because the competition among manufacturers is so high, they do their best to offer the coolest and the most interesting products. This means you will be able to find any e-juice flavor.
Want a pure tobacco taste? Or maybe something sweet and fruity? Perhaps you prefer something bitter or sour? There are e-juices to any vaper’s taste.
It gets better:
The e-liquid companies also produce unique mixes and combinations of flavors. Head Banging Boogie, Honey Doo Doo, Titan, Breakfast, Dope – the list of unusual names and cool flavor combinations is endless. You can try an e-liquid that tastes like your favorite dessert, fruit, or even like a rainbow (no matter how crazy it may sound). No wonder there are people who got into vaping merely because they were curious to try different flavors.
- Simply for enjoyment.
This may be not the most satisfactory answer to the question “Why do people vape?”, but this doesn’t mean this reason isn’t truthful. Some people vape simply because they enjoy it. One person can find pleasure in that thick, huge vapor. Others may enjoy the taste. And some like the combination of both and the process itself.
- They want to save some money on cigarettes.
Here’s the thing:
Some people switch to vaping simply because they feel like they are spending too much on cigarettes. And honestly, vaping is a cheaper option, but only if you don’t start gathering a collection of devices and don’t fill your drawers with hundreds of e-juice bottles.
A pack of cigarettes costs around $13. If you buy 5 packs every week (and this is an average number), you end up spending $3,120 every year. However, to buy a vaping starter kit, which is going to last you at least a year, you need to spend around $50 (of course, cheaper options are available as well, but for $50 you can get a rather decent device). With your starter kit, all you need to add is the e-liquid, which costs around $15 in general. You will probably need to get a new bottle every week, which results in spending $720 each year for your e-juice. You can see now that vaping is a cheaper option, which many people give their preference to.
- They need to relax.
This is the same as with cigarettes:
The process of exhaling smoke (or vapor) seems relaxing to many people. So, while you may enjoy going for a run after work or having a cup of hot coffee to relax, some people prefer vaping. It allows them to calm down and to enjoy a specific routine, which may help them forget about the things that are bothering them.
- For a competition’s sake.
Have you heard of cloud chasing? Let me explain:
It is a form of vaping, which involves producing extremely large amounts of vapor.
While it looks cool, some people have managed to turn this vape method into a competition. Vapers come together, test their skills, show their abilities, see who can create the biggest clouds, and show cool smoke tricks. Such events look fun and interesting, so no wonder many people start vaping because they want to participate. Or maybe some just want to prove that they are better than others. Whatever the case is, vaping for a competition’s sake is a rather common phenomenon.
How Many People Vape Out There?
You can probably tell now that vaping is a rather popular smoking method these days. Don’t you feel curious about the actual scope? In order to find out how many people vape, let’s take a look at the statistics.
There are approximately 300 different e-juice manufacturers. The amount of available flavors is near 8,000. You can see how much there is to try out, can’t you?
America is the leading vape market in the world. Approximately 9 million people in the United States vape regularly, which makes up 43% of the total worldwide vapers amount. However, this number keeps growing every day. Statistics also shows us that there are more than 20 million vapers all over the globe.
Of course, it is a bit hard to estimate the exact number since it keeps changing. However, there’s no doubt that vaping becomes more popular every day in more countries all over the world.
The number of vapers keeps growing every day. People all over the world purchase starter kits and e-cigs for numerous reasons, from the desire to quit smoking to the wish to enjoy the competitive cloud chasing.
To be honest, to answer the question “Why do people vape?” in the most precise way, you need to ask each and every vaper individually. After all, we all have our own personal preferences, and our tastes differ. What we can all agree on is the fact that vaping is able to awaken the curiosity of numerous people. Admit it: if you are new to vaping, you already feel curious to try it and see for yourself, don’t you?