Have you ever noticed vapers on the streets, who were blowing out unbelievably huge and thick clouds?
Want to know what their secret is?
It’s simple: Sub Ohm vaping.
If this name made you raise your brow, don’t worry: I am here to explain everything. So, get yourself some snacks, sit back, and let’s dive right into it.
What Does Ohm Mean? Sub Ohm Vaping Explained
If you’re new to vaping, the term “Sub Ohm” might confuse you. And that’s okay. Figuring out all of the terms may take some time, but you will get there.
Now, Sub Ohm vaping isn’t that complicated, to be honest. It involves using an atomizer with a resistance less than 1 Ohm. What is Ohm, you might ask? It’s a unit that is used to measure the electrical resistance in a coil you’re using for vaping. So, when the resistance of your coil is under 1 Ohm, this is called the Sub Ohm vaping.
Sub Ohm vaping truly is the best vaping style for cloud chasing
The main difference between this vaping method and the regular one is in the way you inhale the vapor. You see, when you vape using an atomizer resistance higher than 1 Ohm, you can enjoy a mouth-to-lung vaping. However, a Sub Ohm style involves a direct lung inhalation. You inhale vapor just like you inhale air when breathing. This allows for a strong throat hit and huge clouds (which we are going to talk about later). That’s why Sub Ohm style of vaping is an all-time favorite of many, many vapers out there.
What Is a Sub Ohm Tank?
If you think that you need a special atomizer to enjoy the Sub Ohm vaping, you’re right. The most popular choice these days is a rebuildable atomizer, whether it’s a dripping or a tank one. However, those atomizers require specific knowledge and experience. The simpler yet still effective option is a Sub Ohm tank, which I’m sure you are going to enjoy the second you start using it.
Here’s the thing:
Sub Ohm tanks use the pre-made, disposable coil heads, which makes them perfect for vapers who are not really into coil building or are just starting to comprehend the basics of the Sub Ohm style of vaping.
Such tanks come with a coil (or a couple of them) with the resistance under 1 Ohm, which is already wicked and ready to be used. All you have to do is fill the tank with your favorite e-juice, and you’re good to go!
Of course, no one is stopping you from using a more advanced RDA (rebuildable dripping atomizer) or RTA (rebuildable tank atomizer). Keep in mind that you will need to do thorough research before you start working with them. You have to clearly understand the Ohm’s law and how to build the coils properly, with all those accompanying details like wicking, cleaning, and so on. Yes, using a rebuildable atomizer gives you more freedom in terms of versatility and customization of your vaping experience, but it also requires you to be competent enough.
The beauty of Sub Ohm tanks is in the fact that they come pre-built. This means you can start vaping right away!
However, modern manufacturers offer a lot of great options among simpler Sub Ohm tanks with pre-build coils. So, my advice is: start simple, figure out what you enjoy more, and then, if you want, move to the more complex rebuildable atomizers.
Why Do People Go Sub Ohm? The Pros
Believe it or not, some people start vaping Sub Ohm simply because they feel curious. However, there are those who have heard about all of the benefits of this vaping method. Want to know more? Let’s take a look at the main pros of this vaping style:
- Vapor production. This is the number one thing that will make you fall in love with the Sub Ohm style of vaping. You see, when the coil resistance is low, it is able to heat up really fast (and to very high temperatures), making the e-juice evaporate fast and produce more (significantly more) vapor. It is an ideal vaping style for cloud chasers, people who enjoy participating in vape competitions, those who like doing tricks with vapor, or simply users who enjoy a nice, thick, fluffy vapor.
Flavor quality. This is actually rather simple and very logical: more vapor means more flavor. Especially if you’re using a rebuildable dripping atomizer, which allows you to drip the e-juice straight onto the coils. Such a method reveals the flavor better, makes it deeper and more distinct, and allows you to enjoy all of the flavor notes.
Even though Sub Ohming comes with some safety concerns, it’s definitely worth a try
- Warm inhales. This one is quite specific and will depend on your personal preferences. You see, Sub Ohm vaping allows for a rather warm-feeling draw, which some users absolutely love. It is quite relaxing, I must admit, especially when combined with a sweet e-liquid flavor.
- Throat hit. This point may also seem rather contradictory. Some people enjoy a smooth draw, others prefer a strong throat hit. If you are one of those who wants to enjoy a hard-hitting vape, the Sub Ohm style will be perfect for you. It allows for very distinct, hitting inhales, which are even more noticeable when you vape with nicotine. You see, Sub Ohm vaping allows users to inhale more nicotine with each inhale because of that strong hit. So, you should be careful when choosing the next e-liquid and its nicotine level. For the Sub Ohm style, it’s better to go with a lower nicotine percentage (especially if you don’t want a head rush or a spoiled e-liquid flavor).
Nothing Is Perfect: The Cons
Let’s face it:
Each vaping method has its own drawbacks. Some are serious and sometimes intimidating, others are hard to even notice. With Sub Ohm style of vaping, there is also a number of certain disadvantages, but I’m sure you can easily deal with them:
- It may be too much for beginners. First of all, the amount of vapor may be overwhelming if you are not really used to vaping. Secondly, there are a lot of things you need to know, especially when using rebuildable atomizers. And even if you’ve decided to go with a pre-build Sub Ohm tank, you still need to be able to figure out the best wattage to vaping, which mod to choose, how to pick the right atomizer, and how to deal with your equipment properly and safely. Therefore, if you are a beginner, I’m afraid Sub Ohm vaping isn’t suitable for you. Not yet.
- It makes you buy more e-juice (and consequently, spend more money). Because a Sub Ohm coil is able to heat up really fast and can reach higher temperatures, it burns the e-juice faster too. This means you will buy more and you will spend more.
- Sub Ohm devices and equipment are usually more expensive. Again, it all goes down to how much you are willing to spend on your vaping device and the accessories. Keep in mind that, when it comes to vaping, you get what you pay for. Don’t expect to buy the cheapest device and enjoy smooth vape and rich flavor. Sub Ohm vaping requires a bit more expenses.
- It will burn your coil faster. This will lead to more money spent. When vaping on a Sub Ohm level, the coil gets very hot, which means it burns faster and will need to be replaced sooner. But it’s a price you have to pay for a great flavor and an excellent vapor production.
- The stronger lung hit may be overwhelming. Especially when vaping with nicotine. Especially if you are a beginner. Think about it: you inhale the vapor directly into your lungs. This may feel like too much and may be quite challenging for your health. However, experienced users don’t consider a lung hit to be a problem since some of them even enjoy it. So, give yourself some time to get used to regular vaping first, okay?
It is not suitable for people who enjoy a mouth-to-lung style of vaping. Direct lung vaping is a lot of fun, but it’s not for everybody. That’s all.
When picking the nicotine level for Sub Ohming, it’s better to start with e-juices that are lower in nicotine
- It is not suitable for a stealth vape. If you feel insecure vaping in public or enjoy doing it during a lunch break somewhere around your office and don’t want to besmoke everyone around you, Sub Ohm vaping is not for you. With such enormous clouds that it can produce, you will forget about a stealth mode of vaping.
- It uses and requires more battery power. Again, the same old story: the coil heats up fast, thus requiring more power and draining your battery faster.
To be honest with you, I don’t think that these cons are that serious. I mean, the vapor and the flavor quality that the Sub Ohm style of vaping can provide you with are simply unbeatable. So, when looking at all these drawbacks, they don’t seem that serious. However, it’s up to you, to Sub Ohm vape or not. You now know all the pros and cons, so making up your mind should be rather easy.
Is Sub Ohm Style Safe?
The safety of Sub Ohm vaping depends on a couple of factors, including your device, the e-juice components, and the wattage/resistance ratio.
Now, if you are using a rebuildable atomizer and a powerful mod, you need to know how to build the coils properly and what role the battery plays when it comes to the coil resistance. Make sure that you never overheat or overcharge the battery since it’s the most dangerous (potentially) component of a vaping device. Click here to find out more about vape chargers.
When it comes to wattage, you really need to know what you’re doing. However, if you are using a pre-built Sub Ohm tank, the task becomes a bit easier. You see, manufacturers usually write the most suitable wattage for each coil that they sell. So, when buying one of those, you will already know the best wattage for vaping on the Sub Ohm level.
As for e-juices, you simply need to read what they are made from. The most basic components are Vegetable Glycerin and Propylene Glycol, which are considered to be safe. Pay attention to the flavorings and Diacetyl, which may cause some unpleasant consequences.
Picking the Best E-Juice
Sub Ohm, being a special style of vaping, requires a special e-juice. Don’t worry, you don’t have to buy an extremely expensive, luxurious e-liquid with stardust or unicorn glitter in it. Still, there are some things you should consider when shopping for your vape juice. You can read more about how to pick the right e-liquid here.
First of all, it has to be super thick and VG-concentrated (Vegetable Glycerin). The perfect VG/PG ratio that you can find on the market is 80% VG and 20% PG. It will allow for huge clouds and a super dense vapor. Plus, with such an e-juice, you will be able to fully experience all of the flavor notes, as it will be deep and crisp.
Also, think about the flavor itself. Remember that Sub Ohm vaping offers a rather warm inhale. So, think about what flavor will go well with such a style. I personally don’t really enjoy minty, “cold” flavors when it comes to Sub Ohming. It’s better to go with a sweet flavor, like cookies, chocolate, or fruits.
Vaping on a Sub Ohm level quickly turned from a simple fun hobby into a sport
Of course, the choice of an e-juice will fully depend on your personal preferences. It will take time and perhaps a bit of experimenting, but you will find the perfect one for yourself.
We’ve all been there. Asking yourself whether the Sub Ohm style is really for you. It’s okay to hesitate. And it’s totally okay to feel curious. The world of vaping is fun, exciting, and has a lot to offer. Sub Ohm style is just one of many, but it definitely belongs to the best ones.
You know what it is now, with all its benefits and disadvantages. Sub Ohming is flavorful and allows for incredibly huge clouds. I feel like that’s more than enough to make you want to try it. So, if you already have some experience in vaping, I say: go for Sub Ohming! And if you are a beginner, I would suggest taking some time and getting to know the world of vaping a bit better.