You open your eyes, take a look at the calendar: it’s Monday – your perfect day for a start living a better life. Today you’re going to break your nicotine addiction. You feel perfect in the morning, however, you’re ready to give up by early afternoon, and in the evening you smoke again.
How many times have you promised yourself that you would quit smoking on Monday, and you failed? 10, 20, 50?
Don’t blame yourself for this, you’re not alone: around 70% of American smokers want to break this habit, but just 6% of them succeed.
The good news? Vaping can become your remedy!
Have you already heard about nicotine salts? It’s a new buzzworthy trend in the vaping industry for users who want to quit smoking. Today, we’re going to tell you everything you should know about nicotine salts.
Actually, a nicotine salt vaporizer is a good device not only for smokers. It can be a good choice for experienced vapers who crave higher nicotine concentrations.
What are Nicotine Salts
It’s a well-known fact that tobacco leaves contain nicotine that people use for smoking and which is used in most e-liquids. Most vapers are familiar with freebase nicotine (it has a higher pH level which returns the nicotine freebase state).
However, there are other players on the marker: nicotine salts, also known as nic salts, are the result of bonding between tobacco nicotine and certain acids. Depending on the acid, there are various types of salt based nicotine (citric, lactic, etc.)
The history of nic salts dates back to 2015 when JUUL created the first nic salts e-liquids. Since these liquids were proved to provide users with higher concentrations of nicotine with a smooth hit, the company believed it could be a revolution in the vaping industry.
To make a long story short, they were right: nic salts are gaining popularity. For this reason, other vaping companies hastened to get on the bandwagon to produce e-liquids using nicotine salts.
What makes them so popular? In nic salts, there’s Benzoic Acid that provides a smoother hit at higher strengths. As a result, even 50mg of nicotine isn’t so harsh, and this ingredient can bring more satisfaction than regular e-juice.
Are Nicotine Salts Safe?
Although nic salts have been on the market for several years, not so many people know much about this ingredient. And most users who consider switching to nic salt e-juices have a logical question: is it safe?
First things first: in spite of the nic salts boom, this ingredient is not for every vaper.
While most vapers use freebase e-liquids, it’s important to define whether nic salts are safe in comparison with regular ingredients. The main difference between these types of liquids is that nic salts contain benzoic acid. However, it’s a common additive to most products, so this ingredient as safe as freebase nicotine
However, there’s another thing to consider. Since most nic salts have 25-50 mg strengths, this vaping experience is not recommended for low-nicotine users. Obviously, you can start with lower nicotine levels as some companies offer nic salts at 3-5 mg, but you need to pay extra attention to the strengths as it won’t fit your vaping style.
And what about the potential addiction? Nic salts are considered to be an alternative to smoking, so it’s a logical question. When vaping nic salts, each puff contains more nicotine than regular liquids, so this consumption can be a reason for dependence. However, nic salt isn’t a problem; it’s you who regulates the amount of nicotine consumption.
All in all, nic salts are as safe as regular e-liquids, so it doesn’t matter what ingredient you prefer.
Pros and Cons of Nic Salts
As any single thing on the Earth, salt nicotine has both the pros and the cons. Now, we’re going to tell you the good and the bad news about this ingredient. If you’re pressed for time, just take a look at the picture below. If you want to understand everything from A to Z, you’re welcome to keep on reading.
- create efficient absorption: it’s believed that nic salt e-juice can enter the bloodstream faster than freebase. With nic salts, the blood absorption rate is more similar to cigarettes.
- get a smoother hit: nic salts are made with the help of benzoic acid which makes a more stable compound because of molecules neutralization, making it smoother to consume. As a result, it’s not harsh on the throat.
- vape higher nicotine concentrations: on average, nic salts contain 25-50 mg of nicotine, and its level may come up to 60+ mg. Thus, vaping nic salts reminds of smoking, making this ingredient a perfect transition between smoking and vaping.
- get ready to invest in different vaping devices: for safety reasons, you can’t use salt nicotine juices with closed system devices. Instead, you need to get refillable (open system) devices.
- the total spending can be higher: because of the hype around nic salt e-liquids, these products are considered to be a premium product, and their prices are higher than regular e-juices. Plus, the investment in vape devices can be costly.
Although that’s everything about the pros & cons, you may get interested in vape devices for vaping nic salts, right?
Well, let’s find out more about nic salts devices.
Devices for Nic Salts
Why should I use different devices for vaping nic salts?
To begin with, it’s important for us to warn you:
For safety reasons, do not use powerful and/or sub-ohm devices for vaping nicotine salts.
Well, nic salts are known for the higher nicotine levels, and it’s the main reason for finding exceptional hardware that delivers cigarette-like sensation. What is more, you should vape at lower temperatures, so a less powerful device is needed.
Believe it or not, going higher than 8 watts can harm your health. The more powerful vape devices are, the higher the nicotine level they produce. Taking into account the idea of an average 25-50 mg strengths, it can be too much for health. Thus, it’s better to avoid powerful devices.
The bottom line? Pod systems are perfect for nic salts, as they can provide a strong nicotine hit.
Nicotine Salt vs Freebase
While most vapers are familiar with freebase nicotine, users don’t know much about nic salts, so they wonder whether it may be reasonable for them to switch from freebase e-liquids to nic salts. To make it easier for you, we’ve created the comparison table and which describes all the differences between these two ingredients.
The bottom line? If you have extra money to give something new a try, use nic salts to get new vaping experience. If you’re a cloud chaser who wants to save money, use freebase e-liquids.
If you’re used to freebase, switching to nic salts provide users with absolutely new vaping experience. Not only contains this ingredient higher nicotine level (up to 60mg/ml), but it provides a smoother hit, so it’s not so harsh on the throat.
Because of a higher nicotine concentration, many users believe vaping nic salts reminds of smoking more than freebase e-liquids. As a result, this ingredient brings more satisfaction for people who want to quit smoking and ex-smokers.
Another difference is the temperature for vaping. While freebase e-liquids requires higher temperatures and more powerful devices, it’s possible to vape nic salts at lower temperatures with the help of less powerful vape devices.
Is Nicotine Salt Bad for You
Obviously, nic salts can be the one-size-fits-all solution for all vapers. There are some reasons why some people aren’t the target audience for nicotine salt e-juices.
There are two main vaper types of users who won’t find nic salts good. Find out whether this ingredient can be bad for you:
- If you love a less nicotine-focused vape, nic salts can be bad for you as they come at 25-50 mg strengths.
- If you’re a cloud-chaser, this ingredient won’t satisfy your needs as it doesn’t produce much vapor.
If you’re none of the above, let’s find out whether you match the target audience.
Who May Love Nic Salts
You’re ready to make the purchase decision, learn more about the types of vapers who may love nic salts. Although nicotine salt e-juices are getting more and more popular, it’s important to find out whether they can suit your vaping style and preferences.
Here we go!
- people who want to quit smoking: with higher nicotine levels, nic salts provide a feeling similar to smoking, so it’s easier to switch from cigarettes to vaping when you use nic salts.
- ex-smokers who miss smoking: being higher at nicotine strength, vaping nic salts remind of smoking experience, so it can be a good option for those vapers who miss their bad habit (yet don’t want to come back to smoking again).
- people who want a smoother hit: one of the most important disadvantages of freebase e-liquids is that vapers feel a throat hit. Since nic salts contain benzoic acid, vaping these liquids provide users with a smoother hit.
So, are nicotine salts for you?
The Final Thoughts
A nic salt isn’t just a buzzworthy trend in the vaping industry. It’s a new opportunity for smokers and people who love higher nicotine levels to get maximum satisfaction and bring their vaping industry to the next level.
Obviously, nic salts have both pros and cons, and it’s up to you to decide whether these characteristics can suit your needs and wants. However, there’s no doubt nic salts become an alternative to traditional freebase e-juices.
And what about you? Was this guide helpful to give nic salts a try? Leave your thoughts in the comments!