No matter how long you have been interested in vaping, you probably can’t help but wonder…
What is the difference between JUUL and vapes?
I mean, they seem rather similar and have the same purpose: to help you enjoy flavorful vapor.
So, let’s take a closer look at the JUUL vs. vape pen comparison and see what makes them different and which one is more suitable for you.
What Is a JUUL Exactly?
To figure out the difference between vapes and JUULs, you first need to understand what each of these devices really is.
A JUUL can be considered a vape pen, but it has a closed pod system. This little handy device includes the following parts:
- a battery;
- a heating element (also known as an atomizer or a coil);
- a pod that has a mouthpiece and holds the e-juice.
Now, the way JUULs work is very simple. These devices are draw-activated. So, to start vaping, you just need to inhale. The sensors in the JUUL will detect the draw and activate the battery, which will power the heating element and make it vaporize your e-juice. And voila, you are vaping! No time wasted, no effort made.
And because JUULs have a closed pod system, you will need to throw the e-juice pod (the cartridge) away after you’ve vaped all the e-liquid. To vape again, you will need a new e-juice pod. This makes JUULs extremely easy to use. You just need to attach a new cartridge, and you are good to go.
JUULs can easily fit into your pocket, which allows for superb portability. And you don’t have to worry about the e-juice escaping through the mouthpiece. Each JUUL features a special system that prevents spillage and keeps your clothes safe.
Here’s the kicker, though:
Simplicity is not what makes JUUL stand out from the competitors. It’s the nicotine salts used in its pods and the quality of vapor it delivers.
Let me explain.
Regular vape pens use e-liquids containing freebase nicotine that takes more time to absorb, while nicotine salts give you a powerful hit right away. Also, because JUULs implement high doses of nicotine salt in small amounts of e-juice, you will need fewer inhales (and less time) to get the nicotine buzz. With a regular vape pen and a freebase nicotine e-liquid, you need to take more inhales to get that hit.
What Is a Vape Pen?
The name “vape pen” usually refers to a device that looks like a pen (duh!) and has a battery, a heating element, and a refillable e-juice tank. Some pens are quite simplistic and limited in terms of functionality. Others are more advanced. Some of them even allow for Sub-Ohm vaping, which you could never enjoy with a simple little JUUL.
Basically, here’s how vape pens work:
You need to fill the tank with the e-juice of your choice, press the fire button, and vape.
Some models allow users to set the desired temperature. Others have wattage settings. Such a variety of functions, models, and designs makes vape pens popular among users who prefer customization.
What’s great about vape pens is that you can pair them up with different tanks. This means you can try various heating elements (ceramic, titanium, or stainless steel, for example), different airflow systems, refill systems, etc.
Here’s the kicker, though:
When looking at the JUUL vs. vape comparison, vape pens win in terms of e-juice options. With a refillable tank, you can use any e-liquid you want. This means you can try various flavors and even control your nicotine intake.
You see, there are e-liquids with different nicotine levels. So, if you want to reduce the nicotine consumption, you can buy an e-juice with lower nicotine strength every time, until you get to zero-nicotine vape juices. Plus, you get to experiment with different flavors, and that’s always fun!
Which One Is More Popular?
The vaping market is growing, and so does the number of vapers.
Which got us thinking “Are the good old JUULs still popular, or maybe new vapers prefer going straight for more complex devices?”
In order to find out which device type is more popular these days, we have surveyed 3,000 vapers across the country, and here’s what we have learned:
- Among those who started vaping in 2017 or later, 61% note that their first device was a JUUL, 27% say they used another pod system device, and only 12% started vaping by using vape pens right away.
- 53% of vapers decided to ditch JUUL and switch to something more advanced after the first 2 months of vaping. 29% decided to switch after the first month.
- 63% of current JUUL users note that they would like more customization.
- 78% of JUUL vapers confess that they are tired of using the same e-juice flavors. Yet, half of them claim that they will not give up on JUUL because of the nicotine hit it provides.
- 89% of vape pen users note that customizability was the decisive factor for them.
- 49% of current vape pen users are planning to switch to something more advanced, while the rest claim they are satisfied with their current devices.
Vape vs. JUUL: Pros and Cons
Which One Is Better for You?
I would say that JUULs and vape pens are sort of meant for different people
The JUUL would be an ideal option for someone who:
- needs something very similar to regular cigarettes in terms of flavor and nicotine buzz;
- has no experience in vaping;
- wants a sleek device;
- prefers to vape stealthily;
- wants a good, strong flavor with not too much vapor.
Now, moving on to vape pens. They are a great option for someone who:
- already has some vaping experience (or has enough patience to go through a learning curve);
- wants to be in control of their vapes and appreciates customizability;
- loves testing different e-juice flavors;
- wants to control their nicotine intake;
- might want to experiment with different coils, vape materials, etc.;
- wants both flavor and clouds.
So, have you made up your mind yet? Which one do you think is for you, a JUUL or a vape pen? Share your thoughts in the comments below!